Correction: This story has been edited to correct the company name
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A former employee at Cort Furniture is accused of stealing more than $40,000 from the company.
On September 19, the human resources manager notified Memphis Police of a theft. She claimed that Molly McHughes was responsible.
According to reports, the manager did an audit. She noticed that McHughes made several unauthorized charges on her American Express card.
During the audit, McHughes did not complete expense reports.
The audit allegedly determined that McHughes made $36,036.80 of unauthorized charges. She was fired.
Additionally, McHughes did not return the furniture and computer given to her to work from home. It was valued at $4,818.06.
📲 Download the WREG App today and stay up to date with breaking news and weather.
📧 Sign up for WREG newsletters and have the latest top stories sent right to your inbox.
📡 See more breaking news, local news and weather from WREG.com for Memphis and the Mid-South.
The total value of theft is $40,854.86.
Molly McHughes is charged with theft of property $10,000-$60,000. She is set to appear in court on Wednesday.
- Ashley Furniture Discount | $100 Coupon + $1100 Off
- More Memorial Day Sales Going on Now: Ashley Furniture, Mattress Firm and More
- Ashley Furniture joins Gardner White in old Art Van Furniture headquarters in Warren
- ASHLEY PARTNERS WITH RONALD McDONALD HOUSE CHARITIES NEW YORK METRO TO SUPPORT FAMILIES WITH SICK CHILDREN
- Ashley Furniture, Wayfair and more